Thursday, February 19, 2009

Movie Reviews...

We'll it took me a little while to get the popcorn out of my teeth but I think I got it all now. So I guess it's time for the reviews...Let's start with the last one that I saw which was "Born into Brothels”. I was really looking forward to see this movie, I had heard a lot about it and had been told that it was intense and amazing. It did not disappoint! Zana Briski, a photographer and Ross Kauffman, videographer, document the lives of a group of children living in a brothel in the red light district of Calcutta, India. Zana teaches the children photography and gives them each a camera to have. I love that you can see the kids taking pictures on the street in the video and then see the photo right after that scene. This was shot to give the viewer perspective on their lives, it gives them a voice. These kids are natural artists! I really love Avijit’s photo at the beach with the sand pale of water being dumped out. You can see the other children playing in the water in the background. This movie is heart breaking and so inspiring. Zana’s photo class was a success and she now has and organization called ‘Kids with Camera’s’. No one should have to live in such despair. Everyone has to see this movie! You should also check out the kid’s gallery , their work is pretty amazing! Two huge thumbs up!

Ok so that was on wednesday morning. My tuesday movie experience wasn’t quite as serious. My morning began by watching “O Brother, where art thou” a comedy based on Homers “The Odyssey”, where three escaped convicts embark on an adventure to find hidden treasure in the 1930’s. The three (George Clooney, John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson) of course find many twists and turns (and hair gel) along the way. The sepia toned picture really added to this movie. The digital process used created a very dusty, dirty south that is unique to other films set in this time. I give this one two thumbs up!

Last, but not lease, the tuesday afternoon movie, “Pecker” with Edward Furlong and Christina Ricci. I have to say my favorite line in this movie was when Pecker (Furlong) was running down the street after his true love Shelley (Ricci) and he yells out “Shelly! I love you more than Kodak!” Haha, it still makes me laugh. This movie is about a young artist who sees art in everyday life, thus making his family, friends, and neighbours the subject of his photos. A New York art dealer falls head over heels for his photography and offers him a show in a gallery in New York. This turns his and his families lives up-side-down! He tries to rectify the problem while trying to come up with more art! Will there be a happy ending?...I’ll let you find out :) This one gets one and a half thumbs up and one LOL.

10 comments:

Lindsay Bonk said...

HAHA I totally forgot about that line Pecker says in the movie about loving her more then Kodak, that actually got me laughing out loud. Hopefully we all don't go chasing our loved ones declaring that we actually do love them more then camera products.. although it would be tough haha.

Sara said...

I told Sean that I loved him more than Kodak and he didn't seem too impressed. I thought it was a nice compliment, he thought otherwise, lol. Pecker is a great movie. I'd like to find out who actually did the photos for Pecker's character!

Born Into Brothels.. <3
So good. Really glad I watched that one. It had been awhile since I watched a good documentary.

Gabriele Digiovannantonio said...

UNFORTUNATELY I WAS UP IN THE MOUNTAINS FOR MOVIE WEEK (OK IT WASN'T THAT UNFORTUNATE)AND I DIDN'T GET TO SEE THIS MOVIE. HOWEVER I HEARD GREAT REVIEWS ABOUT IT AND I SURE I'LL BE RENTING IT IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

Christopher said...

I'm going to jump on this Kodak line band wagon. That was a really good line a movie that had no shortage of great one liners. I enjoyed your review of o brother where art thou, since I have never seen it and reading your review has got me itchin' to.

Dwayne Larson said...

I looooove the movie o brother where art thou. It very funny and George Clooney is perfect in this part. The scenes they set up were amazing and the music and acting was also great.

Mitch Asham said...

Wow, sounds like a definitely need to see Pecker...perhaps I'll put that on the agenda for this weekend! I don't know if I could ever say I love anyone more than Canon...maybe Nikon though hahaha.

Candace Dunsire said...

i was glad that there were at least the three of us watching born into brothels, it would have been so lonely watching it alone!! but it was a fabulous movie!!!

cara said...

In Born into Brothels I loved how you could see the kids taking the photos and then you saw the photo itself right after too. That movie just made me really want to go to India.

Paolo Porquez said...

awww you didnt like O brother that much?
Definitely Pecker's unforgettable line I would say

AmandaO said...

Great reviews, Heidi. I love that all your reviews are so positive! You are such a positive person. :)